I guess I will start with the huge seizure last night, that I have now learned was a grand mal. About 1:35 in the morning Jaden started into a seizure. I could tell very quickly that it was turning into one just like the 2 minute one the night before. I yelled for Ron who was in the office setting up the new monitor we bought that day so we could get a computer up and running. (we had computers, but no monitor. And actually for now the laptop is plugged into the monitor so I still have use of the apple until we send it in.) Anyway, so I yell for Ron. He comes running in and I tell him to turn the lights on she's having one of those bad seizures. He turns the lights on and comes to the bed on the other side of her. She was twitching in a rhythmic manner. Her eyes were dilated, they weren't moving and every muscle in her whole body was tight as could be. She also was making that loud gurgling sound with her throat and tongue. I told Ron to look at his watch and time it. We both held her hands and whispered in ears, sang, anything we could think of. After a few minutes we realized things weren't changing and she wasn't coming out of it. I told Ron to give her a blessing. He layed his hands on her head and gave her a blessing. Of course by this point I'm holding her hand and bawling. The movie scene in God's Army is in my mind where the guy has a seizure and they are giving him a blessing. After the blessing she continued to seize. We next grabbed the diastat out of the bathroom. I opened the package and in a panic I was trying to read the directions. It's a rectal injection of diazapem (valium). As I can't figure out the directions, Ron says hand me the prescription and I can figure it out. He looks at the prescription and then did whatever. About 2 minutes later she was still seizing and then stopped breathing. Yes, she stopped breathing. Thank goodness for Ron. Me being the dummy says, should we sit her up? Ron says, "No, she needs mouth to mouth." He then proceeded to do mouth to mouth. After three rounds of it she started coughing, breathing, and puking a small amount. I've never seen it first hand and yep it was just like the movies. Once she started breathing again she finally stopped seizing. The seizure was approximately 10 min. After that Ron and I each held one of her hands and cried. Next we both said a prayer. First me and then him. We didn't get much sleep the rest of the night. For one it took us a while to relax ourselves and actually fall asleep. And it was daylight savings time so we lost an hour. She had a few more seizures during the night. With each one I was in panic mode. Luckily, they were all small ones. Sometime early in the morning Ron and I started a fast. We then decided to include any of our family members who would join in. We both sent a text out to all of our family inviting them to join us. Thank you to all of you who fasted with us. This time I fasted for myself and Ron. We fasted that we would be able to know what to do. This was the most frustrating thing. We didn't know what to do. Tamara had exhausted all her options. She was no longer able to help Jaden. She couldn't get any recognition from Jaden's self healing system. She said without that her work was useless. So we were at the crossroads of what to do next. Well, it was Ward Conference today and I was teaching Primary for someone. Also, our stake is in Juneau. The Stake Presidency was down for ward conference. I needed my temple recommend renewed and so I had to be there for that. So I went to church and Ron stayed home with Jaden. After sacrament I went down to the Primary room and sat down with my class. Then one of the counselors in the Primary asked me how I was doing. She also said, "where's Jaden?". I lost it and started bawling. Each time I would try to speak I would just cry. I finally made it through to tell her about our night. The Stake Pres. was sitting behind us and she asked me if I would like a blessing from him. Crying to hard to say yes, I nodded my head. She turned around and asked him if he would give me a blessing. We walked down to the Bishops office and I spent the next 30 minutes telling him all the details of what was going on. I told him my biggest frustration was not knowing what to do. That I really felt inspired in Seattle to do whatever I had to to get her off medication. But now this, I still didn't want to go back on meds, but you have to ask yourself that question. He then gave me a blessing. It was long but I only remember 3 things from it. 1) he told me to continue in my search for more knowledge to help her 2) he told me that Heavenly Father was aware of us and our situation and that Heavenly Father wanted to extend his love to me at that time and 3) he said I want to now bless you Jaden through your Mother. I can't remember what he said about her I only remember that being something I had never seen done. It was a really neat experience. Word got through the ward and by the time I got home the High Priest group leader had already called Ron and had arranged to come over to our house with our home teacher and give Jaden and Ron and I blessings. I told Ron that the Stake President had already given me a blessing. So when they came over they gave Jaden a blessing and then Ron. I thought that it was interesting that in Ron's blessing he was told the same thing about Heavenly Father being aware of our circumstances and the desire to extend his love to him. I know that's a no brainer, but it was really comforting to both be told that in our blessings. Well, Jaden slept until 6:30 p.m. She had seizures throughout the day, but didn't wake up through them. After the home teachers left Ron started a family movie with the kids. My neighbor came over and brought a green salad. She said, I know you guys are fasting but this was left over from our dinner. I thought maybe your kids would want some. I then went into my bedroom with her to talk. We laid on the bed and talked for a time. After she left, I thought I've only had 2 hours sleep I should try to sleep. That's when the words from my blessing popped into my mind. That I needed to continue to search and educate myself to look for answers. So I got up and went in and got on the computer. I started by googling grand mal. I wanted to see if that's what she had. I found a post thread on the epilepsy website where people were talking about their grand mals. It confirmed my suspicions that she had indeed. They said that you have rythmic twitching or convulsing of your muscles throughout your whole body and that many times you quit breathing. Well, this post led me to someone that posted about abdominal epilepsy. I had never heard of that, but decided to google it because Jaden has 15-20 "seizure tummies or scary tummies" a day. That's what she calls them. She grabs her stomach and comes running in to me and tells me she had a scary tummy and that it was a seizure but it's gone. Well, abdominal epilepsy is described as a scary sensation in your stomach that moves upwards. They are simple seizures. I never knew that. So knowing that she has these I continued on my search in abdominal seizures. I found a thread where someone had posted about their experience with seizures. This guys name was Bruce. He has had seizures for the past 18 yrs. He says this about his experience,
"Having epilepsy for 18 years now, not only did I believe it had something to do with my digestive system only a few years after the seizures started, I now know it did. For myself, mainly in the location of where the small intestine connects to the large intestine, at the lower right quadrant of my abdomen. Digested food moving and triggering my seizures.I have seen numerous doctors; have tried many combinations of medications, gone through nearly all testing pertaining to seizures and epilepsy, up until the final possibility of pre-surgical EEG with the result and risks of permanently loosing my speaking abilities if further brain surgery were continued. The only other possibilities the doctors explained to me were the VNS and future new medications. With what I felt about the VNS beforehand along all the feedback I’ve seen and heard thereafter, there is no way that I’m going to do the VNS. Plus, belief that the Ketogenic diet would greatly increase my bad cholesterol. The current medication I’m taking of lamictal and keppra are controlling the grand mal and complex partial seizure, but still nothing to control the simple partials/auras. Because of all this I started to wander if there are any other possibilities available but just not greatly known about. I searched the Internet and found a possible connection to Abdominal Epilepsy. All of which I have been working on since January 2005, by following with the information through The Association for Research & Enlightenment, A.R.E. with their Epilepsy Treatment Plan.
Think for a moment. The Ketogenic diet is a special high-fat, low-carbohydrate diet that helps to control seizures in some people with epilepsy. Are there any possibilities that there could be other diets that may work better and/or just as well, to control seizures in some other people with epilepsy? Then you have the VNS [Vagus Nerve Stimulator], which is designed to prevent seizures by sending regular, mild impulses of electrical energy to the brain. Could there be anything else that could also send impulses to the brain to prevent seizures and/or shorten the length of time of how long the seizure lasts? Yes everyone, there is. And not only are these helpful for epilepsy, but also for many other medical disorders just as well. Again, because of The Association for Research & Enlightenment, A.R.E. with their multiple Treatment Plans. All based on the Edgar Cayce remedies and research preformed through the Meridian Institute."
He was kind enough to post links to the Cayce diet. It is a fairly simple diet. I will go into that detail later. I'm tired and I want to get all of my thoughts written down. However, this diet is all about eating an alkaline diet. I've heard this many times before, but the thing that caught my attention this time is because my Aunt Jayne had us order a Kangan water machine. It alkalizes all of your water you drink. This is something that she felt inspired we do. This was going along with everything she's been telling me and now it's being told to me by an epileptic too. It was like puzzle pieces being put together. So tomorrow we are starting the Cayce diet with her. We are still fasting and will probably break our fast sometime tomorrow. I want to continue to get reassurance that this is what we should do. I'm going to continue to pray as I'm fasting to decide about medication. Oh, Aunt Jayne also ordered me some more oils. She's been talking to her contacts and has learned that frankincense and helichrysum are both used for seizures. That would make sense to me. If you think about it seizures have been around for sure since Christ's time, we can read about it in the Bible. Well, what else has been around since Christ's time, frankincense, remember it was one of the gifts given to the Christ child. So why wouldn't it be a possible way to treat seizures. They sure didn't have dilantin, depakote, trileptal, or keppra 2000 yrs. ago so what did they do??? I'm so tired now and I know I'm rambling so I'm going to go to bed. I will finish this entry tomorrow. Maybe I'll be able to make sense of some of my nonsense that I'm babbling about tonight. In the meantime, I pray for a better night tonight than last night and again thank you to everyone for keeping us your prayers and thoughts.
4 comments:
geez, vicki. i'm sitting here bawling as i read this. i'm so, so sorry. i can't even imagine what this is like for you guys. we'll continue our prayers for you guys. there has to be an answer out there. i hope this is it!
Like I said before if there is anything we can do for you please let us know and we will do what we can. I know we're a ways away but just let us know. Tell Jaden Krew says Hi.
I'm so glad to hear all that. It braks my heart knowing that you are going through all this but it is comforting to hear about your experience on Sunday. Hang in there vic.
BTW
I didn't know that they encouraged blogs but I can see why they would. I use myspace to keep in touch with Kim and the little boys. I've tried to get them to switch to a blog but I haven't had much success. Then again it took how many months to convinceyou to do it. I am so glad you are doing one.
I absolutely love the pictures of you and ron and the kids. those are the cutest pictures.
Post a Comment