Thursday, June 25, 2009

Father's Day

This Father's Day was a great day. I decided to bypass the gift giving. Especially, since Ron really doesn't care much about the new clothes or the See's chocolate. I think I enjoy them both more than him. He is always thankful, but deep down I know it doesn't really matter to him. This year, since there is no Mall to run to, I tried to think of what would mean the most to him. 
And yes, at 41 food is still the way to his heart.
We started the day off making breakfast for him.  Travis set his alarm early and snuck into our room to wake me.  

In a whisper:

Travis: "Mom, what should we make for Dad?" 
Me: "I was thinking over medium eggs, toast, bacon, and oj." 

Then we hear:
How about french toast? 
What?, where did that come from? .....Ron was already up and sitting in his chair reading. 
Oh well, I guess breakfast in bed after 17 years really isn't a surprise anyway!!

So I headed off to the kitchen and we made: 



Voila--french toast and bacon-we even put a scoop of butter on top to make it Restaurant style.
My big plans were for dinner. I can't believe I didn't take any pictures of my dinner. 
I worked so hard on it. I made him:
grilled salmon tacos and
deep fried, breaded halibut tacos,
Fresh salsa and guacamole.
The thing that made it the best was the
 pickled cabbage and the southwestern slaw (for fish tacos). 
I found great recipes for both those things.
 Down in Vegas there is the best Mexican Restaurant called Cozymels. We loved it. He loved their fish tacos and one of the best things about the fish tacos was the pickled cabbage. I tried to recreate that for him.
It turned out so yummy and he was so happy.

I was so pleased to spend that much time in the kitchen for him. I am blessed to have such a hardworking and wonderful husband. My favorite thing is that he treats me like a Queen. He always has and he still does. And my kids are blessed to have a wonderful, loving, patient, and fun Dad, but most of all he is a great example to them. My 4 boys will never have any excuse to not be the best husbands in the world. That to me is priceless.

4 comments:

seven smiles said...

What a great day.

this is my favorite:

"but most of all he is a great example to them. My 4 boys will never have any excuse to not be the best husbands in the world. That to me is priceless."

How true,
and how very lucky they are.

Your girls are lucky too, because now they know to settle for nothing less in a husband.

xo

Jennifer Pfaff said...

Vicki-
What a great post!!! I love it! What a wonderful man you have! It is very important to have such great examples for our boys! But I feel it is very important for our girls too, they need to see the way Daughters of God should be treated! :) I'm glad you found a good one! :)

Camille said...

How fun! He is a great dad and husband I'm sure. He is a great man and above all (to me) a GREAT DENTIST!! I'll always miss him for that! LOL

So cute, he was reading his scriptures....I Can see his old leather bound book to the side. I'll never forget his scriptures- the coolest I've ever seen! (and WELL used!)

Nat Lud said...

What a great post for a great fella! Thinking of homemade salsa is making me hungry! And thinking of dinner at Cozymels is making me miss you guys! Good thing i'm online right now trying to figure out tickets . . .