Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Great new dinner routine

I have a great new dinner routine set in place. I was so tired of either 
a) being the only one to cook dinner, set table, and clean up or 
b) having kids either ditch out when asked to help or whining the whole time.

So I created a chart. I'm using it for the 4 oldest. The 4 rotating assignments are as follows:

1) help cook dinner
2) set the table 
3) clear the table
4) dishes

It has been working so good. Everyone knows they have an assignment and there's no getting out of it. Plus they are all learning to cook. If they want they can pick what's for dinner when they are the cook.

Let me give you some examples of why it's worked so good. Two nights ago, Jayley was in a pissy mood because she was working on homework and there was something she didn't understand. Ron was trying to explain it to her, but she wasn't getting it. She was so MOODY. It was time for dinner and she had to set the table. She did it, in a BAD mood, but she did it no less because she knew that was her assignment and she didn't have to do anything else. Then Last night, Travis had basketball at 7:00. He had the dishes. I told him he wasn't going unless he got his part done, and guess what-he did it. It was so awesome. They know that everyone is doing a part and it rotates on a nightly bases so there is no getting out of their assignment.

Last night was Jakes turn to cook. He wanted pizza, so I told him we would make pizza, not buy it. We used to make this pizza in dental school all the time with our friends. And I mean ALL the time. I don't think I've made it more than twice since then which has been about 10 yrs. It turned out so good and the kids loved it.
Jaden of course can't stay out of the kitchen. She jumped in to help. (BTW, she's not taller than Jake, she's just standing on a stool.) Oh and I have these cute little, red aprons that say, "Little Helper" on them. I got them at the William Sonoma Outlet in Vegas. The little ones love to put those on when they are helping.
Sam came in the kitchen and joined in at the sink. He was just playing in the water. We'll say he was doing the dishes:) btw, Sam is on a stool too.
Jake mixing the pizza dough.

Jaden is cooking the hamburger.

8 comments:

Donalyn said...

That is a really good idea. I am going to try it. They are so cute!!! I just love them all. I miss them.

The Framptons said...

Thats cool. I think one reason kids dont help around the house is because they dont feel responsible and have a part.
By the way check out simplifysupper.com
Its a calendar of meals for the month and it tells you what to buy at the store. If your like me you hate deciding what to cook and buy.

Bobbi

Jaymi said...

That's a great idea. I will have to try and remember it. Also will you give me the pizza dough recipe?

Nat Lud said...

I am loving these pictures! The kids look like they should be in a cooking magazine or something. I have got to find some of those aprons. That is such a good idea. Maybe I'll have to put my 'squatters' and Brooklynn to work!

gonzalesnine said...

Thats kind of what I do at our house except the kids have a job for a whole month and then they switch. At dinner time they all take turns helping make dinner or helping clean up. My job is the kitchen so I usually do the dishes a couple of times a day but someone always helps clean up the dinner mess. It is nice to have kids that can make dinner on their own. Mikeala loves to cook and it is such a blessing for me especially when I am at a birth I know I can call her and she will make dinner. Your kids are so cute. Must look like their mom.

seven smiles said...

So cute!
You are a good mom.

I remember our pizza nights....
{sigh.}

Miss you guys.

Kaye and Jared said...

What a fun thing you are doing. Glad it's working for you!! You have such cute kids!

Anonymous said...

Great idea Vicki. Darling pictures of the kids--thanks for sharing!