Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Next stop....Hospital

This is by the end of the day after my class reunion picnic. Jaden was having a seizure every 15-30 min. So we checked out of the hotel about 7:00 p.m. and headed for Salt Lake. My sister-n-law Haley was awesome. She took our kids with her to St. George. (There was a family reunion going on at Lake Powell at the same time.) Ron, Jaden and I headed north to Salt Lake to Primary Children's. The hotel was awesome too because they refunded our money for that night.
This was in the car on the drive up. She was so out of it. She was drooling like crazy cause she had bit her tongue during one of her seizures. She would just sleep in between seizures with her tongue hanging out.

You can see on the sides of her tongue where she bit herself. It turned into  nasty, huge sores and it was swollen.

We got to Salt Lake about 2:00 a.m.  In the emergency room they gave her a dose of valium and told us that they would watch her and see if that was enough to bring her out of her clusters. They thought they could treat her with one dose in the ER and then send her home and not have to admit her. I explained to them that this was the 5th time she has clustered and I PROMISED them that it would not stop it and that she would need to be admitted and that she would be in the hospital for 6 days. I even told them what medication the neurologists would be giving her to stop the clusters. Of course the ER docs didn't believe me cause what would I know.....They even said, "Well, this usually works so we won't bother the Neurologists until morning. Most likely they'll send you home." So at 9:30 a.m. (after we sat in a triage room all night) they came in and told us that they talked to her Neurologists and that they would be admitting her now. And guess what....She was there for 6 days. On a good note though her Neurologist was the Doctor on the hospital rounds that week. We could not have been more blessed for that to have worked out. I LOVE him. He listens to Mom all the time!! He even asked me on the second day if this was normal for her to still be having so many seizures. LOL I assured him....that on the third day they would start to calm down and by the fourth day they would be able to start weaning her off the dilantin. He is seriously the most AWESOME Doctor! 

Auntie Wendy of course was there to visit and spend time with her Jaden!!

FINALLY a bath and that crazy EEG off her head. She had to have the EEG and video monitoring for the first 5 days. She hated it. All those cords are glued to your head.

The best news was that after all the EEG recording they found a more specific area that the seizures were coming from.  They also did another MRI with that information. The results were a malformed area of her brain. This was the seizure center. This resulted in them scheduling her for BRAIN SURGERY 3 weeks later. I have AWESOME pictures to come from that.

1 comment:

seven smiles said...

I know you think blogging is a chore--but I love catching up on everything you've been doing!

PS- you have to watch this, this link goes to the full version:
http://byutv.org/seethegood/post/The-5000-Days-Project-Two-Brothers.aspx

my whole family was GLUED to it. have tissues handy.