Tuesday, October 18, 2011

BrAin SuRgerY!!

So what is it like to have your child go through brain surgery? Well, here ya go.....
Friday morning July 22, 2011 6:00 a.m.

This was during the prep stages. We are waiting for the surgeon to come in our room to talk to us before they take her back.

The surgeon came in and asked us if we had any questions before they took her back.  Ron and I didn't have any so he asked Jaden if she had any....she said, "yes, can I have the bad piece of my brain that you cut out?" The Surgeon laughed and said, "Wow, that is the first time I have been asked that. How about I bring you a picture of your brain instead. I bet no other kids at school have a picture of their brain."

After 6 1/2 hours of surgery and us waiting in the surgical waiting room for about 8 hours we were brought into the ICU.  This is what she looked like when we walked in the room. She was still under sedation.

When I walked to the side of the bed and saw this.....that's when I cried.

The incision went from ear to ear over her head like a headband. They do a zig zag incision so that her hair will cover the scar.  A straight incision will create a forced part that you can't cover up.

The tube above the incision is a drain tube. 


My Mom there to support us.

and Dona and Aunt Wendy

This was a few hours later when she woke up. You can see her drain tube going across her forehead. It was kinda creepy.

This collected the fluid draining off her brain.


Travis came with us to Salt Lake and stayed in the hotel with us the night before.  It was really good for him to be there and be apart of it.



And this is the picture the Surgeon promised to bring her. You are looking at her face from a top view.  The piece of bone that is cut out is from her forehead and on up to the top of her head. The Doctor said they removed the bone right above her eyebrows.  So under the gauze would be about where her eyes are. The piece of brain they took out we were told was about the size of a "thick slice of ham." When they were done they replace the piece of bone and stitch it and then put her skin back in place and stitch that all up.

4 comments:

Cajsa said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!! Wow! is the only thing that pops into my mind. Is this supposed to stop the seizures? I hope everything goes well with her recovery. We'll be praying for you guys.

Maile Fano said...

I guess the doc was right about any other child not having a picture of their brain like this one. I HOPE she is doing a lot better now with the piece of bad brain is gone.

jayandminalyn said...

Vicki, that picture of her brain surprised me even tho I had seen it before. Wow

Love you

Jennifer Pfaff said...

Vicki- Bless your heart! Oh my,..... I can't believe how strong you and your family are. I would be so scared, I'm sure you were too. But you handle it all so gracefully!! (Seriously though, the pic of her brain made me want to puke.) :(