-I've had sick kids home all week. (Different ones each day). Today is the first day that it's back to just me and Sam.
-I'm helping coach Jayley's middle school volleyball team. That started this week. It's so much fun. I like all sports, but I absolutely LOVE volleyball. Me being on a volleyball court is like best friends being reunited. I seriously am that excited about it. I'm assisting the P.E. teacher. He's the head coach. I volunteered to help if he needed any assistance. He said, sure. I can tell as the week has gone on that at first he didn't know what to expect from me. I'm very happy to say that I think he is impressed. He told me that he will be out of town for our first game. He was going to have help from the high school coaches for that game, but yesterday he told me that he will just have me coach instead when he's gone. I'm so excited and it feels good to have someone recognize my volleyball talent. I know that sounds silly, but that is where my biggest talent lies. I used to feel sorry for everyone that wasn't athletically talented. I thought I was the luckiest person on earth to have been given athletic ability. UNTIL, I grew up and realized that everyone else could use their talents on into adult hood. For example those who were in choir are still singing and for their lifetime everyone appreciates their talent. For me my talent was great for 4 years in high school, but for the last 18 yrs. whatever!! Of course, I did get 3 college scholarship offers to play volleyball. Now that's a tricky one because I wouldn't change the way my life has turned out, but I can't tell you how bad I wish I would have played college volleyball. (Being totally honest, probably only for the recognition.) Because the schools offering me scholarships were all in AZ I didn't want to accept them. I had this strong desire to live with Liz in Utah. We had waited our whole lives to "room" together. Okay that's kind of funny because we shared a room our entire life. Anyway, I wanted to go to school in Utah and live with Liz. I figured I could go to school in Utah and try out for UVCC's volleyball team. I ended up never trying out. I met with the coach and she was a total jerk. She didn't give me the time of day. She told me that because I wasn't a Utah resident I didn't stand a chance of making the team and it would be a waste of my time. I was so insulted. I ended up taking an advanced volleyball class. I was told that I would have to have special permission because it was mostly for the volleyball players. The teacher who happened to be the boys coach said he would see how I did and if I wasn't able to keep up in the class I would have to move down to volleyball II. Needless to say he never said another word to me about that. It was a coed class with the boys and girls volleyball players. When it was time to hit off of quick sets I was the only one in the whole entire class that could hit a quick set. (It's a huge timing thing and we did them all the time in HS). Anyway, the teacher would use me day after day as the example on how to hit a quick set. The girls in that class never got it. The boys caught on, but I was the only girl that could hit a quick set. I was blown away that these girls on volleyball scholarships weren't capable of doing it. It made even more mad about the whole situation because I was definitely qualified to play ball for them. That whole semester not one girl from the volleyball team talked to me. They were very rude and clickish. By the time that semester was over I had no desire to play volleyball with them. I met Ron and the rest is history. I couldn't ask for a better life.
Okay so maybe I did have something to blog about. This is not at all where I intended for this post to go. I should change this post to volleyball rantings. LOL Whew I feel better. I know I'm just writing to myself on this one, but it feels good to say even if it's to myself through my fingers typing. I FEEL better.
5 comments:
If it makes you feel better, I understand where you are coming from with your volleyball. I'm not comparing it to me or examples I have. I mean I really understand YOU and volleyball. You were such a natural--like a fish in water. I remember at Roman Gardens when some people ask us if WE knew how to play volleyball. You were so insulted that we were even considered to be in the same category. Of course, it didn't take long for people to recognize your talent. I am so glad you are coaching. I always thought you would be awesome at that. Way to go Vickijo!
Vicki you are awesome.
I suck at sports and always wished I was better. I can run and I am agile and I have good rhythm and timing--but throw any kind of equipment into that mix and it is usually a minute away from sprains and broken bones and humiliation for me.
It was fun to talk this week...
:)
Vicki I still remember when you showed me some beginner Volleyball stuff. That was so much fun. I only got to play one year in High School so I know how that feels to regret not playing more. I absolutely loved playing Volleyball. I was a natural at blocking. I loved jumping up and stuffing another girls face what a great feeling of satisfaction that was for me! I do regret not playing for two more years but oh-well. I just wish I could play again but I'm so rusty now. I don't think I could be good enough for a city leage but who knows maybe I will tryout one of these years:) You were a great teacher though and Jayley is lucky to have you as her mother!
I loved your post! I sometimes forget how frustrating it is for you, but I always remember how good you were/are. I am so glad you get to coach. There is nothing like being in your element and the volleyball court is definately were you belong. I just wish I could be up there to see some of the game and watch you coach.
You'll love coaching!!
Post a Comment