Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Test results

Oh how I wish that I could keep up with everything. I need to update on Jaden's testing in SLC and yet she's moved onto another phase and so this is all irrelevant. But for history's sake, here it goes anyway. The bottom line of her testing is that she was diagnosed with

Secondary ADHD
 
What this means is that she has ADHD, but it is called secondary because it is being caused by another medical problem. It's not something that she would have otherwise. The abnormal brain activity (seizure activity) that she has in her frontal lobe causes receptors to be non existent or not work at all. In the frontal lobe of an ADHD child the receptors also don't exist or work.  We were given two choices:

1) treat the behavior with adhd medication
-or-
2) leave it be

The consequences of treating the behavior are that ADHD meds lower the seizure threshold. So in other words, if she takes ADHD medication then she will have more seizures. At that point, I was willing to deal with more seizures if the behavior could be controlled more. Ron on the other hand was not hip at all on giving her medication for ADHD. We had time to think about it because they wanted me to make an appointment with her pediatrician and if we decided to medicate then they wanted him to be the prescriber for her ADHD meds.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reading about this journey my heart goes out to you guys, knowing you will make the best choices for Jaden. Just wanted you to know we love you guys and you are in our thoughts and prayers.

Cajsa said...

Vicki I am so happy when you blog. I love to hear what is going on and I'm at least happy for you guys that Jaden was diagnosed. Okay maybe happy isn't really the right term here. I don't know how you guys do it, but you are in my prayers!

The Framptons said...

It probably feels nice to at least know what it is and your options. Love you guys!