Sunday, January 25, 2009

Ketchikan VS. Juneau

Ketcikan played Juneau this weekend. It was so much fun. Ketchikan and Juneau have a huge rivalry going on. It's gone on for years and years. Juneau is a bigger city and therefore they have a lot more students to pull from. They are usually pretty tough to beat. Not to mention that their program has a lot more funding than ours does. You all know who Carlos Boozer is....Utah Jazz....well, he is from Juneau. Since, that is his alma mater he donates $150,000 a year to Juneau's basketball program. So we're a little jealous. However, this weekend we swept Juneau 6-0. We played them Friday and Saturday nights. The Freshman, JV, and Varsity all three won both nights. It was pretty awesome. Juneau definitely did not expect to come to Ketchikan and get their rear's kicked. 
Travis is now 6'2.5" (with shoes 6'4"). This kid #33 was 6'5".





I liked this picture because the one in the middle is Travis' best friend Nikk. The 2 Juneau players are the boys that I housed this weekend. #35 is Jesse and #41 is Jacob. They were both way cool. Jesse and Jacob were really friendly and interactive. They would hang out in the living room and talk with us. The last time I housed the boys didn't say 2 words. They would go straight into their room. I think I've mentioned before that when the teams in SE Alaska travel they house out with other players, which means they stay at their houses. They don't ever stay in hotels. It costs them a fortune to travel. It costs the school on average $10,000 per game/trip to travel just for the plane tickets. You can see why they don't stay in hotels. 

5 comments:

Liz Lane said...

Those pics remind me of your high school days--when we'd wait to see what pictures were going into the weekly paper. He looks so good and so much like you!

seven smiles said...

Travis! That's awesome!

(Those are some sweet shots, Vicki!
What camera are you shooting with now?)

Vicki said...

Oh don't I wish.....LOL......I was waiting for someone to say that....LOL.....there's a guy locally that takes pictures of all the games and then posts them on his website. He only charges $5 for a digital download. It's well worth it.

Donalyn said...

Funny I was going to ask you what camera you were using LOL I wish it wasn't so expensive to fly, I would love to come watch one of his games. That is so cool.

Johnsonsblog said...

Go Travis! That is awesome he looks like he is quite the basketball player. I can't believe how tall he is, That I'm sure helps a lot.